Refinishing a beat-up mantlepiece


I wish I’d taken some pictures before I started. My roommates were kind of horrified when I dragged this beaten up, honey coloured orphaned mantlepiece into the house. And I agree; it was an eyesore. (You can see a little bit of the original honey oak colour in the last picture. Otherwise, you’ll just have to use your imagination.)

Total cost: about $40

Materials: one curbside mantlepiece, sandpaper, palm sander, putty and putty knife, 5 cans of matte brown spraypaint, one can of lacquer/sealer, 4 L-brackets, screws.

Tricks: After you’ve prepared your surfaces, use three or four thin coats of spraypaint. Modern lacquer is so easy to use, but still, watch for drips, because it dries really quickly and will leave streaks if it’s not promptly cleaned up. This unit was a little rickety by the time we got it into the garage, but I just tightend up all the bolts and added a handful of new L-brackets and now it’s pretty solid. Ta-da!


^Marcus

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s